The 'Extrude Tool' is a tool to help create clean geometry in the early stages of the modeling process. It is much like the Push/Pull tool except that it will create a loop of edges at the start of the operation. The advantage of the extrude tool is that it will not create interior faces like the Push/Pull tool does.
Launching the Tool
Click the Extrude Tool icon from the Artisan toolbar or choose Tools->Artisan->Extrude from the menu
- Launch the tool
- Click a face in the model
- Move the mouse away from the face to begin extruding
- Click again to complete the extrusion
- Click-dragging can also be used
- By keying-in a measurement after the first click, you can extrude the face a precise distance.
Extrude vs Push/Pull
When using the Push/Pull tool and pressing CTRL to toggle the creation of a new face, this new internal face results in messy non-manifold geometry that gives a poor result when using the Subdivide and Smooth tool.
Note: The extrude tool only works to Pull faces outwards. It cannot be used to Push a face inward.