Saving Cost Data to a Template
You can save your cost data to a SketchUp template file for future use in other projects.
A SketchUp template is simply a normal SKP file that already includes layers, materials, and other entities. When you save a template, all of the cost data assigned to the layers, materials, model, and objects will be saved with the template.
- Start with a SKP model that includes your standard layers, materials, and components that you use in your projects.
- Make sure that the layers, materials, and other objects in the model have cost data assigned where appropriate.
- Save the SKP model as a template (File Menu -> Save As Template...)
Now you can re-use this template in future projects so you don't need to re-create all of the cost data again.
Import Cost Data from a Template (New Model)
If you want to start a new model and already have all of the cost data populated, just choose a default template that contains saved cost data.
- Open SketchUp Preferences
- Click 'Template'
- Choose a template that contains your saved cost data.
Now, when you start a new SketchUp model, all of your standard layers, materials, components and cost data will already be available.
Import Cost Data from a Template (Existing Model)
It is NOT recommended to import cost data from a template into an existing model (eg. by using File -> Import). If the existing model already includes the same layers, materials, and components, the cost data will not be imported. The cost data will only be imported if the layers, materials, and objects do not already exist.
It is also NOT recommended to import an existing model into a template with cost data. The model and layer cost data will generally be preserved but the material and object cost data will most likely not be preserved and applied to the imported model.
Instead, importing cost data into an existing model should be performed using the Excel import feature.
Saving and Loading Components with Object Cost Data
It is possible to save Components with object cost data.
- Assign Object cost data to a component.
- Right-click on the component
- Choose Save As... from the context menu.
Save the Component as a SKP file to the location of your choice. If you then import the saved component into a new model, it will still have the cost data assigned to it.