Tips to improve accuracy of quantity and cost calculations:
- For the most accurate length calculations, use Profile Members (created with Profile Builder) for as much of your modeling as possible. If you don't use Profile Members, the length will be calculated based on the maximum dimension of the object's bounding box. This may not always be correct.
- Use the SketchUp Axes tool to make sure that an object's axis aligns with the length of the object (not required for Profile Members)
- For 'slab' or 'panel' type elements (such as a concrete slab or wall sheathing) where you intend to calculate the projected area, it is recommended to model these as standard solid objects (eg. draw a face and push / pull to form a solid). If you model this way, the projected area calculation will account for any openings or holes in the object. If you model them using Profile Members, the loss of area from openings will not be considered in the area calculation (see example above).
- Avoid using the scale tool to modify the dimensions of an Object.
- Ensure that your faces are oriented correctly and consistently.