This tool operates in a similar way to the SketchUp Push / Pull Tool except that it will always create a loop of new edges at the location of the selected faces. This ensures that manifold quad-based topology is maintained. Other important features of this tool include:
- Extrude multiples face groups and surfaces simultaneously
- Switch modes between individual, group, and normal modes using ALT
- Tap SHIFT to extrude freely in any direction
From Left to Right: Individual, Group, and Normal Extrude Modes
- (Optional) Preselect faces to extrude
- Activate the Extrude Faces Tool
- Click to set the extrude start reference point.
- Move the mouse to control the extrude distance or key-in a distance in the measurements box.
- Click again to complete the extrusion.
- ALT = Cycle between Individual, Group, and Normal Extrude Modes
- SHIFT = Tap to extrude freely in any direction
- Press ESC to clear the selection
Press ALT to switch extrude modes. This can even be done while extruding.
Individual Mode will extrude each of the selected faces individually. Extruded faces will separate in this mode.
Group Mode will extrude each group of faces along the direction of the average normal of the face-group. Extruded faces stay together in this mode.
Normal Mode will extrude faces along the direction of the vertex normals. Extruded faces stay together in this mode.
By tapping SHIFT while extruding, you can then mode the extruded faces freely in any direction. All faces will then move together in the same direction. Tap SHIFT again to turn off free mode.
Prevention of Overlaps and Non-manifold Geometry
The Extrude Tool prevents you from creating overlapping and non-manifold geometry. If your extrude operation doesn't work and an invalid cursor is displayed, try changing your extrude mode or adjusting your geometry to eliminate the overlap.