This tool is used to extrude free edges and border edges. Border edges have exactly one face attached and free edges have zero faces attached. Edges with two or more faces attached cannot be extruded.
Extruding can be performed using 3 modes: Individual, Group, and Normal.
- (Optional) Preselect free or border edges to extrude.
- Activate the Extrude Edges Tool
- Click to set the extrude start reference point.
- Move the mouse to control the extrude distance.
- Click again to complete the extrusion.
- ALT = Cycle between Individual, Group, and Normal Extrude Modes
- SHIFT = Tap to extrude freely in any direction
Extruding Free Edges
From left to right: Original Edges, Individual Mode, Group Mode
Extruding Border Edges
From left to right: Original, Individual Mode, Group Mode, Normal Mode
Press ALT to switch extrude modes.
Individual Mode will extrude each of the selected edges individually. Extruded edges will separate in this mode.
Group Mode will extrude each group of edges while trying to keep the newly generated faces parallel to the border faces. Extruded edges stay together in this mode.
Normal Mode will extrude each group of edges in a direction that is within a plane formed by the edges. Extruded faces stay together in this mode.
Note that Group Mode and Normal Mode may sometimes produce identical results depending on the orientation of the border faces.
By tapping SHIFT while extruding, you can then mode the extruded edges freely in any direction. All edges will then move together in the same direction. Tap SHIFT again to turn off free mode.
Please sign in to leave a comment.