This tool is similar to the SketchUp Offset tool but with some key differences:
- Maintains quad-based topology
- Offsets can only be performed inwards towards the center of the face, not outwards
- Any number of face groups can be inset simultaneously
- Works for curved surfaces
- (Optional) Preselect any number of faces.
- Activate the Inset Faces Tool.
- Click to set the inset start reference point.
- Move the mouse to adjust the inset distance.
- Click again to finish.
- ALT = Toggle Inset Mode between Individual and Group
- SHIFT = Move Freely
- Press ESC to clear the selection
Original at Top, Group Mode at Bottom-Left, Individual Mode at Bottom-Right
Press ALT to toggle inset modes.
Individual Mode will inset each selected face individually. Faces will separate in this mode.
Group Mode will inset groups of faces. Groups of faces will stay together in this mode.
By tapping SHIFT while insetting, you can then mode the inset faces freely in any direction. All faces will then move together in the same direction. Tap SHIFT again to turn off free mode.